Our teeth work hard and are constantly under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. At Hammond Aesthetic & General Dentistry, your dentist in Provo, we remind you that enamel erosion may be widespread, but it is also largely preventable.
Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are various medications, teeth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body. Once it is worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the National Institute of Health, 41% of young people already have enamel erosion.
- Brushing teeth too forcefully can damage enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as harmful as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva, which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you already have enamel erosion, there are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been harmed. Call Hammond Aesthetic & General Dentistry in Provo to schedule an examination. Our services include cosmetic and family dentistry. Make an appointment with us today.
Contact Hammond Aesthetic & General Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):