Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and costly to repair. In this post from Hammond Aesthetic & General Dentistry in Provo, we offer an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
- Avoiding a cracked tooth means avoiding chewing on hard things. Mind-blowing, right? People should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Also be careful with pitted fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the stone, you could damage a tooth.
- It is essential to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth protector.
- Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Locate a pair of scissors to open a package or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
- Avoid grinding your teeth. Teeth grinding not only wears teeth down, it can lead to a cracked tooth. If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, talk to us so we can address the problem.
- Get regular dental check-ups and cleanings. We can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. We may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Repair these cracks early before more damage ensues.
At Hammond Aesthetic & General Dentistry in Provo, we want all our patients to enjoy good dental health. We offer custom sports mouthgards that protect teeth, as well as complete family dentistry services. Call for an appointment today!
Contact Hammond Aesthetic & General Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):